Can I Take Finasteride and Prost-P10X?
Finasteride and Prost-P10X is a combination that some men may want to take, but they have questions. For example, men with an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia, BPH) may be prescribed finasteride by their doctors. At the same time, they may want to take a natural supplement along with the drug or perhaps eventually stop using the drug. One such supplement is Prost-P10X, which provides 12 natural ingredients chosen because of their positive impact on prostate health and symptoms associated with BPH.
Can men take finasteride and Prost-P10X at the same time? Before we answer that question, let’s look at some facts about both of these options for an enlarged prostate.
What is Finasteride?
Doctors typically prescribe finasteride (Proscar) alone or with doxazosin (Cardura) to treat symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Those symptoms can include painful urination, frequent and/or urgent need to urinate, urinating during the night, and difficulty urinating, among others. Men also may be prescribed finasteride as Propecia for hair loss.
Finasteride is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor that limits the body’s production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone that triggers the prostate to grow larger. This is the same hormone that stops hair growth.
Men who take finasteride usually don’t notice any appreciable results for at least six months, but side effects can occur sooner. They can include reduced libido, erectile dysfunction, and breast enlargement.
In April 2012, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) told the makers of finasteride they had to put warning labels on their products about the possibility of sexual side effects. They included libido disorders, ejaculation disorders, and orgasm disorders that can continue even after stopping the drugs, as well as male infertility and/or poor semen quality that improves once dosing has stopped.
What is Prost-P10X?
Prost-P10X contains 12 natural ingredients in a formulation designed to support prostate health. According to Dr. Geo Espinosa, Director of the Integrative Urology Center at New York University and Chief Science Officer at Prostate Research Labs, “By offering men Prost-P10X, we are trying to present a natural option for prostate health, a supplement that may help men get off the drugs and that provides a clinical strength and supportive program for prostate health.”
The Prost-P10X formula is based on independent clinical studies specifically related to prostate and sexual health. Here are the ingredients in Prost-P10X and what they have to offer:
- Beta-sitosterol may inhibit the production of DHT and help promote a healthy prostate size
- Cranberry helps support both urinary tract and prostate health
- Curcumin (Meriva®) regulates inflammation and supports prostate health
- Green tea extract supports normal prostate size and overall prostate health, as well as regulates hormones that have an impact on prostate volume
- Pollen extract (Graminex G63™) has been shown to support healthy prostate volume and help with normal nighttime urination
- Pygeum africanum bark may help inhibit DHT production
- Quercetin dihydrate is a potent antioxidant and promoter of prostate health
- Saw palmetto extract assists in enhancing prostate health and a healthy sex drive
- Stinging nettle root works well with saw palmetto and quercetin in promoting urinary tract and prostate health
- Vitamin D3 supports prostate health, as this vitamin is necessary yet often present at deficient levels
- Zinc citrate supports sexual function and prostate health
- 3,3-Diindolylmethane (DIM) supports hormone balance (testosterone and estrogen), enhances sexual health, and promotes normal prostate size
Men who want to reduce their dependence on finasteride may consider Prost-P10X and possibly switch to the all-natural supplement to help support prostate health, according to Dr. Geo. Finasteride and Prost-P10X can be a healthful combination.