Should I Get a Vasectomy?
Should I get a vasectomy? This is a question some men ask themselves and their partners when they are making decisions about children and family size. If you are considering getting a vasectomy, there are a number of questions you need to ask yourself before you arrive at a “yes” or “no” response to the question “Should I get a vasectomy?”
Those questions should take into account the fact that every man is unique and has a different lifestyle, goals, health issues, and personal beliefs. Be sure to consult a medical professional (e.g., your family doctor, urologist), review the latest literature on vasectomies, and involve your partner/spouse, spiritual advisor, and/or family members, when appropriate, in your decision-making process.
Should I Get a Vasectomy? Questions to Ask
- Am I absolutely certain I don’t want to father any children? Although a vasectomy can be reversed in some cases, the procedure should be viewed as permanent.
- How does my partner/spouse feel about my having a vasectomy?
- Does my insurance cover vasectomies? Not all health policies cover a vasectomy, and some require a specific amount of time to pass between the time of the first doctor visit and the vasectomy.
- Do I want to bank my sperm for future use? Contact a sperm bank in your area for information on how to bank your sperm.
- What happens to my sperm? After a vasectomy, your testicles continue to produce sperm but they dissolve and are naturally absorbed by the body.
- What other forms of birth control should I consider?
- What happens during a vasectomy?
- What are the side effects or risks associated with a vasectomy?
- What are the benefits of a vasectomy?
- Is having a vasectomy safe?
- How effective is a vasectomy in preventing pregnancy?
- How will having a vasectomy affect my sex life?
- How long does it take to recover after a vasectomy?
- How much does a vasectomy cost?
- Are there any medical conditions that could prevent me from being a candidate for a vasectomy?
- How many different types of vasectomy procedures are there, and how are they performed?
- Who performs a vasectomy and where can I have the procedure done in my area?