Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Prostate Cancer, Other Urologic Cancers
Associate Professor of Surgery, Division of Urologic Oncology
Moores UCSD Comprehensive Cancer Center
Dr. J. Kellogg Parsons is Associate Professor of Surgery at the Moores UCSD Comprehensive Cancer Center. He specializes in prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), bladder cancer, and kidney cancer. He is an expert in robotic-assisted surgery, prostate laser surgery, and cryosurgery.
In 2009, Dr. Parsons was selected for Best Doctors® —an independent, peer-elected, international database representing the top 5 percent of physicians in the United States.
Dr. Parsons has extensive expertise in treating prostate cancer using the da Vinci robotic system. He trained to perform nerve-sparing prostate cancer surgery with Dr. Patrick C. Walsh, one of the nation’s leading urologic surgeons, at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. At UCSD’s Thornton Hospital, Dr. Parsons performs robot-assisted prostate, bladder, and kidney surgery to improve patient outcomes and speed recovery.
Dr. Parsons is an internationally recognized expert in prostate disease and urologic oncology. He has presented over 140 scientific papers, edited three medical textbooks (including a 1,000-page textbook of prostate cancer) and received research grants from the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, and Department of Defense.
He has won numerous awards for his scientific research, lectured extensively across the U.S. and Europe, and sits on several national committees for the American Urological Association.
He is currently also the lead investigator in the MEAL clinical trial focusing on the effect of diet and lifestyle on prostate cancer.
- 1988-90 Member of Men’s Varsity Swim Team, Stanford University
- 1988-90 Varsity Athletic Academic Honor Roll, Stanford University
- 1992 Graduation with Honors in History, Stanford University
- 1992 Graduation with Distinction, Stanford University
- 1994 American Foundation for Urologic Disease Medical Student Research Fellow
- 1996 Alpha Omega Alpha (junior year), University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- 1997 Dr. Spencer Morris Prize for Academic and Clinical Achievement, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine—the top academic award given to a member of the graduating class
- 2001 First Prize, Clinical Research Essay Contest, American Urological Association, Mid-Atlantic Section
- 2003 American Urological Association Gerald P. Murphy Scholar for Prostate Cancer Research
- 2003 Bernard Schwartz Fellow in Urologic Oncology, Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
- 2005 Third Prize, Urology Resident/Fellow Research Essay Contest—an award given by a peer-reviewed journal
- 2006 First Prize, American Urological Association/ACMI National Clinical Research Essay Contest
- 2006 Commended Peer Reviewer for Annals of Internal Medicine
- 2006 British Medical Association Medical Book Competition “Highly Commended” Award for Prostate Cancer: Principles and Practice
- 2007 American Cancer Society Young Investigator Travel Scholarship Award
- 2007 Valedictorian, UCSD National Council for Leadership in Academic Medicine Program
- 2007 First Prize, American Urological Association Joseph McCarthy Clinical Research Essay Contest
- 2008 Western Section Representative for the American Urological Association National Leadership Program—1 of only 2 urologists selected from the western U.S.
- 2008 Honoree for Excellence in Clinical Care, National Doctor’s Day
- 2008 Recipient, Hope for a Cure Foundation Cancer Research Grant
- 2009 Second Prize, American Urological Association/ACMI National Clinical Research Essay Contest
- 2009 First Prize, Moderated Poster Session, American Urological Association National Meeting, Chicago, IL
- 2009 San Diego VA Medical Center Teamwork Award
- 2009 Selected for America’s Best Doctors® —an independent, peer-elected international database
- 2009 Journal of Urology Outstanding Reviewer of the Year Award
- 2010 Fellow, American Urological Association/European Association of Urology International Academic Exchange Program—one of only 3 urologists selected from the U.S.
- 2010 First Prize, American Urological Association Joseph McCarthy Clinical Research Essay Contest
- 2010 San Diego County Medical Society and San Diego Magazine Physician of Exceptional Excellence (“Top Docs”)
- 2010 Selected for Best Doctors®
- 2011 Selected for “San Diego Superdoctors”—an independent, peer-elected database
- 2003-2004 Member, Johns Hopkins Medical School Sub-Committee on Graduate Medical Education
- 2007-08 Member, UCSD Moores Cancer Center Faculty Retreat Planning Committee
- 2007-pres Member, UCSD Medical Center Technology Assessment Committee
- 2010 Faculty Panel Participant, LCME Site Visit for UCSD Medical School
- 2010 Chairman, UCSD Department of Surgery Ad Hoc Promotions Committee
- 2011 Invited Panel Member, Moores UCSD Cancer Center Annual Retreat
- 2011 Reviewer, UCSD/SDSU Cancer Disparities Grant Review Panel
- 2007 Faculty Mentor, UCSD Medical School High School Summer Training on Aging Research Program
- 2007-pres UCSD Site Administrator for Improving Access, Counseling and Treatment for Californians with Prostate Cancer (IMPACT) Program
- 2009-pres Physician Mentor for the UCSD Physician Enhancement Program: a program designed to promote public protection, patient safety, and the attainment of the highest possible quality of clinical care through mentoring of at-risk physicians.
- 2000-pres Expert reviewer for Urology
- 2004-pres Expert reviewer for British Journal of Urology International, Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, American Family Physician, and Asian Journal of Andrology
- 2005-pres Expert reviewer for Journal of Urology, Annals of Internal Medicine, and Journal of Laparoendoscopic Advanced Surgical Techniques
- 2006-pres Expert reviewer for Cancer
- 2006-pres Expert reviewer for Science of the Total Environment
- 2007-pres Expert reviewer for Clinical Drug Investigation
- 2008-pres Expert reviewer for The Prostate
- 2009-pres Expert reviewer for World Journal of Urology
- 2009-pres Expert reviewer for Cancer Prevention
- 2010-pres Expert reviewer for the Journal of Hepatology
- 2010-pres Expert reviewer for the Journal of the American Medical Association
- 2010-pres Expert reviewer for the Journal of the American College of Surgeons
- 2010-pres Expert reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Oncology
- 2010-pres Expert reviewer for TSW Urology
- 2010-pres Expert reviewer for The Aging Male
- 2011 Expert reviewer for Maturitas
- 2011 Expert reviewer for Current Medicinal Chemistry
- 2011 Expert reviewer for Quality in Primary Care
- 2011 Editorial Board Member, Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases
- 2011 Editorial Board Member, CooperativeHealth and www.prostate.net
- 2002-2006: Maryland State Medical License
- 2005-pres California State Medical License
- 2007-pres Diplomat, American Board of Urology
- American Urological Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- American Association of Clinical Urologists
- San Diego Urological Association
- San Diego County Medical Society
- California Medical Association
- 2008-pres Reviewer for the American Urological Association National Content Review Committee
- 2009-2011 Member, American Urological Association National Practice Guidelines Committee
- 2009-pres Member, American Urological Association National Steering Committee for Evidence Based Reviews in Urology
- 2010 Co-chairman, American Urological Association National Content Review Committee
- 2010 Member, American Urological Association National Young Urologists Committee
- 2011 Chairman, American Urological Association National Content Review Committee
Novel initiatives for cancer prevention and control.
Role: Staff Investigator
Study of a Novel Diet-Based Intervention for Prostate Cancer
The major goals of this project are to assess the effect of a dietary intervention on clinical
progression and quality of life in prostate cancer patients treated with active surveillance. Read more
A pilot trial of diet change for superficial bladder cancer.
The major goal of this project is to assess the feasibility of a diet-based intervention for the treatment of bladder cancer.
Risk factors for lower urinary tract symptom progression among older men.
The major goals of this project are to assess the effect of modifiable risk factors on the initiation and clinical progression of lower urinary tract symptoms in older men and to develop clinically useful risk prediction models for lower urinary tract symptoms.
The Testosterone Study.
The major goal of this project is to assess the efficacy of testosterone replacement therapy
for the treatment of symptomatic hypogonadism in older men.
- 2006-pres Member, National Cancer Institute Southwest Oncology Group
- 2007-pres Member, National Cancer Institute Cancer and Leukemia Group B
- 2006-09 Member, National Steering Committee, Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT)
- 2007-09 Member, National Committee on Retention and Adherence, Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT)
- 2007-pres Member, Cancer and Leukemia Group B Sub-committee on Genitourinary Surgery
- 2007-08 NIH/NIDDK Planning Committee Member, Workshop on Modifiable Risk Factors for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms
- 2008-pres Member, Cancer and Leukemia Group B Sub-committee on Cancer Prevention
- 2008-pres Member, Cancer and Leukemia Group B Committee on Genitourinary Disease
- 2010 Nominated for Cancer and Leukemia Group B Executive Committee
- 2008-pres Study Protocol Chair, Cancer and Leukemia Group B Study #70807: “A Randomized Multicenter Phase III Study of Diet Change for Prostate Cancer Patients Treated With Active Surveillance: The Men’s Eating and Living (MEAL) Study”
- 2010-pres Team Leader for Localized Prostate Cancer, Cancer and Leukemia Group B Genitourinary Disease Committee